Top Main

Chapter 26 – UTILITIES

  • Chapter 26 – UTILITIES


    — (1) —

    State Law reference— Municipal utilities generally. S.C. Code 1976, § 5-31-610; municipality may purchase or construct utility systems and plants, S.C. Code 1976, § 6-21-50; authority to establish municipal sewerage system, S.C. Code 1976, § 5-31-810; authority to enact relevant ordinances concerning sewerage system, S.C. Code 1976, § 5-31-900; general pretreatment regulations for existing and new sources of pollution, S.C. Code Reg. 61-9.403; enumerated municipal powers regarding schedule of sewer service and connection fees, S.C. Code 1976, § 5-31-2030; maximum contaminant levels in drinking water, S.C. Code Reg. 61-58.5; municipality may hold landlords of certain multi-unit buildings responsible for utility charges billed to tenant, if building served by master meter or single connection, S.C. Code 1976, § 27-33-50(C).

  • Sec. 26-1. – Water, sewer and septic systems that serve the town area.


    The town sewer system begins at the end of Highway 165 at Metal Trades and runs along Highway 165 to the location where it enters the Hollywood Sewer System at Hollywood Pump Station No. 4. It also serves several areas with feeder lines that access off of the eight-inch force main along Highway 165.


    Public water also runs along Highway 165 and is owned and managed by Charleston Water Systems, formerly CPW. Public water is available to any parcel that can access it. Application for public water is handled through Charleston Water Systems and is not part of the Meggett Sewer System.


    Individual septic tanks and drain systems are allowed where the state department of health and environmental control (DHEC) has approved and issued permits to build. The responsibility of the maintenance and repairs belongs to the property owner.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-100, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-2. – Application for sewer and water.


    The applicant for sewer service with the town must submit a formal request in writing indicating the number of taps needed, the TMS number where the tap or taps will be connected, as well as the physical address of the location.


    The town will sell taps on a first-come, first-serve basis.


    If taps are not available, the town will place the individual on a waiting list until a tap is available.


    When a tap is available, the town will notify the applicant by mail of the availability and the applicant will have 90 days to respond. If the applicant declines at that time, the town will remove his name from the list or move it to the bottom of the list, if the applicant wishes to remain on the list. Anyone wanting to connect to the Meggett Sewer Systems must also connect to public water as well.


    Application for public water must be made to Charleston Water Systems.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-101, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-3. – Fees and cost associated to sewer and water.


    The town’s fee to purchase a sewer tap is $4,000.00. This fee is set by the town council and is subject to change.


    An applicant will also pay an impact fee to Charleston Water Systems at the time the application is submitted for service connection. Charleston Water Systems processes the waste material from the town sewer system

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-102, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-4. – Construction cost for individual sewer tap.


    The homeowner or individual will be responsible for all cost related to the construction of the plumbing of the dwelling, including the installation of the grinder pump and holding tank and the sewer line from the dwelling to the property line. The construction and installation for this part may be performed by a professional of the owner’s choice.


    The physical connection from the property line to the point of access will be handled by the town’s sewer and maintenance contractor. The construction cost for this part of the connection will be billed by the sewer and maintenance contractor for the town to the owner. Cost associated with this part of the installation will vary based on the different variables that may be encountered with the construction and connection process. All permits and materials for this section of the connection will be handled by the town sewer contractor. An estimate for the connection will be provided to the owner prior to the beginning of construction.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-103, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-5. – Monthly fees.


    Businesses and residents that are connected to the Meggett Sewer System are billed on a monthly invoice by Charleston Water Systems. Rates are based on the consumption of public water used.


    Individuals owning taps who are not connected to the Meggett Sewer System are billed quarterly by the town based on a monthly fee of $15.00. Fees are set by the town council and are subject to change.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-104, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-6. – Sewer maintenance provided by the town.


    The town will provide an annual inspection to all residents that are connected to the sewer system at no charge to the homeowner. Should any malfunction be detected, a letter will be sent to the homeowner stating the problem and recommendations. The homeowner will be required to make the repairs within a reasonable time frame at their expense.


    All construction installations and connections must comply with the county codes and all permits and business licenses must be obtained prior to construction.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-105, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-7. – Subdivision submittals for sewer service.


    An owner or developer proposing subdivision of property that includes an application for sewer service must submit two complete sets of drawings including all details of proposed sewer lines, pipe sizes and lots to be served by the Meggett Sewer System to the town in addition to other agencies that require submittals. Review of the design will be handled by the town’s sewer engineer and contractor. When approved, the town will send notification to the applicant with any comments.


    Construction for sewer lines must meet all design, building and plumbing codes and town regulations. The town’s sewer contractor will perform inspections during the construction phase. One inspection will be when pipe is placed in ground before trench is covered. The town will require a locate strip to be placed on the pipe.


    The owner or developer will be responsible for all maintenance and repairs for the subdivision sewer lines for the first year after construction is completed and approved. At the end of that time frame, the sewer located outside of the property boundaries will be turned over to the town’s sewer system for ownership and maintenance.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-106, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-8. – Future reserve.


    At present, the town has been allotted a set allocation of usage. Residential usage is based on a rate of 300 gallons per day (GPD). When taps are not available, an applicant desiring service can be put on a waiting list. When taps become available the town will contact those on the list.


    Public water is available to anyone and supply is not limited in the areas where Charleston Water Systems serves. Residents can connect to public water by applying to Charleston Water Systems even if sewer is not available.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-107, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-9. – Call before you dig.

    The town is a member of Palmetto Utilities Protects Services (PUPS) and anyone excavating within the town shall contact PUPS prior to any excavation.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-108, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-10. – Definitions.

    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

    BOD (denoting biochemical oxygen demand) means the quantity of oxygen utilized in the biochemical oxidation of organic matter under standard laboratory procedure in five days at 20 degrees Celsius, expressed in milligrams per liter.

    Building drain means that part of the lowest horizontal piping of a drainage system that receives the discharge from soil, waste and other drainage pipes inside the walls of the building and conveys it to the building sewer, beginning five feet outside the inner face of the building wall, except that septic tank effluent systems shall be included in the building sewer regardless of its location.

    Building sewer means the extension from the building drain to the public sewer or other place of disposal and includes septic tank effluent pumping systems where applicable.

    Business location means a building or portion thereof, providing a permanent location for one calling, occupation, profession or activity engaged with the object of gain, benefit or advantage, either directly or indirectly.

    Combined sewer means a sewer receiving both surface runoff and sewage.

    DHEC means the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control.

    Dwelling unit means a building or portion thereof providing complete and permanent living facilities for one family.

    Garbage means solid waste from the domestic and commercial preparation, cooking and dispensing of food and from the handling, storage and sale of produce.

    Industrial waste means the liquid wastes from industrial manufacturing processes, trade or business as distinct from sanitary sewage.

    Infiltration means groundwater or surface water entering the sewage system through such means as, but not limited to, defective pipes, pipe joints, connections, or manhole walls.

    Inflow means surface water entering into the sewage system from such sources as, but not limited to: roof, yard and area drains; foundation drains; unpolluted cooling water discharges; drains from springs and swampy areas; manhole covers; cross-connections from storm sewers and/or combined sewers; catchbasins; stormwaters; surface runoff; street wash waters, or drainage.

    I&I means inflow and infiltration.

    Natural outlet means any outlet into a watercourse, pond, ditch, lake, or other body of surface water or groundwater.

    pH means the logarithm of the reciprocal of the weight of hydrogen ions in grams per liter of solution.

    Properly shredded garbage means the waste from the preparation, cooking and dispensing of food that has been shredded to such a degree that all particles will be carried freely under the flow conditions normally prevailing in public sewers, with no particle greater than one-half inch (1.27 cm) in any dimension.

    Public sewer means a sewer in which all owners of abutting properties have equal rights, and is controlled by public authority.

    Sanitary sewer means a sewer that carries sewage and to which stormwaters, surface waters and groundwaters are not intentionally admitted.

    Sewage means a combination of the water-carried wastes from residences, business buildings, institutions, and industrial establishments, together with such groundwaters, surface waters, and stormwaters as may be present.

    Sewage treatment plant means any arrangement of devices and structures used for treating sewage.

    Sewer means a pipe or conduit for carrying sewage.

    Sewer system means all facilities for collecting, pumping, treating and disposing of sewage.

    Slug means any discharge of water, sewage or industrial waste that in concentration of any given constituent or in quantity of flow exceeds for any period of duration longer than 15 minutes more than five times the average 24-hour concentration or flows during normal operation.

    Storm drain (storm sewer) means a sewer that carries stormwaters and surface waters and drainage, but excludes sewage and industrial waste, other than unpolluted cooling water.

    Suspended solids means solids that either float on the surface of or are in suspension in water, sewage or other liquids, and which are removable by laboratory filtering.

    User includes without limitation any owner, customer, or user of residential, commercial or industrial services such as individual or associated homeowners, developers, public or private utilities, satellite sewer systems, municipalities, or any permittee who directly or indirectly discharges, causes or permits the discharge of wastewater to the town.

    Wastewater means the combination of liquid and water-carried wastes from residences, commercial buildings, industrial plants, and institutions.


    Sanitary wastewater means the combination of liquid and water carried wastes discharged from toilet and other sanitary plumbing facilities and including cooling water, holding tank waste, and I&I.


    Industrial wastewater means the combination of liquid and water carried wastes discharged from any industrial facility and resulting from any trade or manufacturing process carried on in that facility and shall include wastes from pretreatment facilities, cooling water and I&I.

    Watercourse means a channel in which a flow of water occurs, either continuously or intermittently.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-120, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-11. – Unlawful to deposit unsanitary matter.

    It shall be unlawful for any person or user to place, deposit or permit to be deposited in any unsanitary manner on public or private property within the town or in any area under the jurisdiction of the town any human or animal excrement, garbage or other objectionable waste.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-122, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-12. – Unlawful to discharge sewage.


    It shall be unlawful for any person or user to discharge to the sewer system within the town or in any area under the jurisdiction of the town, any sewage or other polluted waters except where suitable treatment has been provided in accordance with provisions of this chapter.


    It shall be unlawful, without prior permission of the town, for any person or user to discharge sewage with pollutant concentrations at greater than typical residential strength, which shall not exceed 300 ppm BOD or suspended solids, be outside the pH range of 6.0—9.0, and which does not contain excessive grease, sediment, rags or other deleterious or objectionable substances. The person or user may be required to take steps to correct the discharge of sewage where the pollutant concentration of this sewage exceeds the allowable concentration or contains deleterious or objectionable substances. Additionally, the person or user agrees that it is hereby responsible for payment to the town, in addition to any other utility fee, for any costs incurred and/or response action the town takes to maintain, remedy and/or repair any damage caused by such excessive contaminants or other deleterious substances.


    Upon application by the user, and at the town’s sole discretion, the town may allow higher concentration wastes than the allowable typical residential waste, for additional utility fees.


    If the town determines that there is excessive I&I into the sewage system from or caused by the user, then the user agrees that the town may require the user to take, or the town may take and user agrees that it is responsible for any costs, such remedial action as is necessary to correct the excessive infiltration.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-123, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-13. – Unlawful facilities for disposal of sewage.

    Except as provided in this chapter, it shall be unlawful to construct or maintain any privy, privy vault, septic tank, cesspool or other facility intended or used for the disposal of sewage.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-124, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-14. – Building permits on lots with septic tanks; continuing responsibility, remedies and penalties.

    Owners of building lots where septic tank and drain field disposal systems are permittable in accordance with state department of health and environmental control (DHEC) standards may be issued a building permit for construction of improvements served by a septic tank and drain field disposal system meeting the provisions of DHEC standards. Building permits are issued by the county.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-125, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-15. – Building permits on lots where septic tank not permitted.

    On all building lots where septic tank and drain field disposal systems are not permittable in accordance with state department of health and environmental control standards, the county will not issue a building permit or allow construction of a septic tank and drain field disposal system. When a public sewer tap becomes available and upon proper application by the owner or his agent to the town, the owner will be allowed to tie on to the public sewer in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-126, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-16. – Tie-on of existing systems; exceptions.

    The owner of all houses, buildings or properties used for human habitation, employment, recreation or other purposes situated within the town and that are being provided with sanitary sewer service by an existing septic tank and drain field disposal system will not be required to tie on to the public sewer system when it becomes available. If a septic tank and drain field system becomes inoperable or fails as determined by DHEC standards and is irreparable, the owner will be required to make the necessary repairs to the septic system and drain fields in accordance with the provisions designated by DHEC or, if a public sewer tap is available, they may apply to the town to be connected to the sewer system.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-127, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-17. – Use of old building sewers.

    Old building sewers may be used in connection with new buildings only when they are found, on examination and tested by the proper agency, to meet all requirements of this chapter.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-129, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-18. – Construction of sewers to conform to codes; protection of the public.


    The size, slope, alignment, materials of construction of a building sewer, and the methods to be used in excavating, placing of the pipe, jointing, testing and backfilling the trench, shall all conform to the requirements of the building and plumbing codes or other applicable rules and regulations of the town. Inspections will be performed by the town’s authorized inspector during the construction phase.


    If not otherwise specified by the town, then any design and construction must meet the latest version of the “Minimum Standards for Design and Construction of Water and Sanitary Sewer System” as established by the Charleston Water System and as is adopted by reference herein. All sewer designs must be submitted to the town for approval by the town or its designated agent.


    All excavations for building sewer installation shall be adequately guarded with barricades and lights so as to protect the public from hazard. Streets, sidewalks, parkways and other public property disturbed in the course of the work shall be restored in a manner satisfactory to the town and/or the state department of highways and public transportation.


    Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to relieve an owner from the responsibility to obtain required permits from the appropriate agencies or authorities, to install private sewer lines on appurtenances on public property.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-130, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-19. – Connection of sewers to conform to codes; supervision.


    The connection of the building sewer into public sewer shall conform to the requirements of the building and plumbing code or other applicable rules and regulations of the town. All such connections shall be made gas tight and watertight. Any deviation from the prescribed procedures and materials must be approved by the town’s water and sewer engineer before installation.


    The applicant for the building sewer permit shall notify the town when the building sewer is ready for inspection and connection to the public sewer. The town will perform several inspections during the construction phase; one when pipe is laid in the ground before the trench is covered and another when the connection is made. The connection shall be made under the supervision of the town’s sewer contractor. The town’s sewer contractor shall check the building sewer for excessive I&I. Any pipe having excessive I&I will not be connected to the sewer.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-131, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-20. – Malicious damage.

    No unauthorized person or user shall maliciously, willfully or negligently break, damage, destroy, uncover, deface or tamper with any structure, appurtenance or equipment that is part of the sewer system. Any person violating this provision shall be subject to arrest and upon conviction may be punished in accordance with the applicable laws.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-132, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-21. – Right to make inspections.

    The town and duly authorized employees and contractors of the town bearing proper credentials and identification shall be permitted to enter all properties for the purpose of inspection, observation, measurement, sampling, testing, repair, rehabilitation, and maintenance of the public sewer system in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-133, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-22. – Liability for injury.

    While performing the necessary work on private properties referred to in section 26-21, the town or its duly authorized employees and contractors shall observe all safety rules applicable to the premises; and the owner and/or user shall be held harmless for injury or death to town employees and contractors, and the town shall indemnify the company against liability claims and demands for personal injury or property damage asserted against the owner and/or user and growing out of the gauging and sampling operation except as such may be caused by negligent or willful conduct of the owner and/or user.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-134, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-23. – Entry of private property subject to easements.

    The water/sewer contractor for the town and other duly authorized employees bearing proper credentials and identification shall be permitted to enter all private properties for the purpose of, but not limited to, inspection, observation, measurement, sampling, testing, repair, rehabilitation, and maintenance of any portion of the sewer system lying within the property. The town ordinarily does not require dedicated easements unless access is not otherwise available. If an easement is required, the owner must submit, at the owner’s expense, a survey showing the utility easement recorded at the county RMC office. The town will give the owner reasonable notice before accessing the owner’s property unless an emergency situation exists.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-135, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-24. – Violation; injunctive relief.

    Any person or user found to be violating any provision of this chapter shall be served by the town with written notice stating the nature of the violation and providing a reasonable time limit for the satisfactory correction thereof. The offender shall, within the period of time stated in such notice, permanently cease all violations.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-136, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-25. – Penalties.

    Any person or user who shall continue any violation beyond the time limit provided for in section 26-24 shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction thereof shall be punished in accordance with applicable law.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-138, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-26. – Schedule of utility fees for sewer service.

    Until changed pursuant to appropriate action of the council, the following shall be the schedule of rates or charges for the sewer services afforded by the town sewer system:


    Fee for a tap for residential use is $4,000.00.


    Additional connection impact fees are set and paid to Charleston Water Systems.


    All cost associated with physical connection from the property line to the point of access to the town sewer system will be the responsibility of the homeowner and will vary depending on the variables that are involved in the physical connections such as road bores, length of pipe, labor, equipment, permits and other materials. The town will provide an estimate for this cost at the owners’ request before construction if they so desire.


    The owner will also be responsible for cost associated with the installation of the grinder pump, holding tank, line to the property line, electrical hook up in addition to the standard plumbing fees for the dwelling or building.


    Residents that are connected are billed a monthly invoice from Charleston Water Systems based on public water consumption.


    Residents that own a tap and are not connected to the Meggett Sewer System are billed on a quarterly basis by the town. Fees for taps not connected are set by the town. Residential fees for taps not connected are based on $15.00 per month but are subject to change.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-139, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-27. – Offenses; penalties.


    It shall be unlawful and a violation of this chapter for any person to tamper with or change any portion of the sewer system, to make any connection to the sewer system without written permission, or to reconnect service when it has been disconnected for nonpayment of a bill for service until such bill has been paid in full, including the reconnection fee.


    Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and on conviction thereof shall be punished in accordance with applicable law.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-140, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-28. – Equal access to sewer system.


    Subject to the other provisions of this chapter, it is the policy of the town that commitments for access to the town’s sewer system be made on a first-come, first-serviced basis.


    As of January 2013, taps that are purchased for residential use will be sold on a first-come, first-serviced basis. The purchaser will have two years to connect to the Meggett Sewer System. At the end of the two years if the owner of the taps has not connected, the owner may request an extension from town council. Absent an extension granted by council, if the tap is not used within the time frame allowed, and someone is on the waiting list for a tap, the tap will be returned to the town and offered to the next person on the waiting list. The tap fee initially paid by holder will be reimbursed. Should the person next in line on the waiting list decline to purchase the available tap, they will have the choice to remain on the waiting list but move to the bottom of the list or be removed from the list.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-182, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-29. – Reservations for future capacity.


    There is hereby established a priority list for future sewer capacity to be maintained by the town, which shall be the basis upon which access to future capacity not currently available to the town shall be made to individuals seeking access to the town’s sewer system. Access shall be made available first-come, first-served in the order in which completed applications pursuant to this section are received by the town, and subject to the limitations of this section.


    Written applications submitted to the town shall include the following:


    Name of person or company requesting taps.


    Date of application.


    Number of taps requested.


    TMS (tax map number) number for each parcel that tap will be assigned to and physical address.


    Request for taps for a subdivision should also include two complete sets of plans for the subdivision signed by a licensed architect or engineer with all lots shown and details of the proposed sewer system for the subdivision to be reviewed by the town’s engineer for approval.


    Such other requirements as the town may reasonably impose.


    When additional capacity becomes available to the town sewer system, the town shall offer commitments to applicants in the order of their appearance on the priority list by letter advising them of the available capacity and that the applicant shall have 90 days from the date of the letter in which to complete the requirements of an application for a letter of ability and willingness to serve. In the event an applicant fails to complete the requirements within the 90 days, the applicant shall be either removed from the list or moved to the bottom of the priority list and the capacity made available to the next applicant on the list. All applications filed during any calendar day shall be deemed to be filed on that day in the order they were accepted.


    Capacity reserve pursuant to this section is not transferable from project to project. No individual or owner of a tap or taps can sell the tap or taps to any other individual. All sale or transfer of taps transaction of taps may only be handled by the town.


    An applicant whose project appears on the priority list may at any time prior to transmission of a letter by the town, pursuant to subsection (c) of this section, request that his application be withdrawn and obtain refund of the posted advance.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-197, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-30. – Issuance of sewer taps.

    Sewer taps will be issued by the town upon completion of the following:


    When application for a tap (or taps) is completed;


    When the town’s sewer system can serve the location with public sewer;


    When tap or taps are available; and


    When tap fee is paid and other requirements as the town may reasonably impose.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-198, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-31. – Amendments to reservations, letters of ability and willingness to serve or increase flow of sewer taps.

    Upon application of the holder of any reservation, letter of ability or willingness to serve or the holder of any sewer tap for permission to increase the permitted flow of sewage, the town shall allow the increase based on availability upon compliance with the requirements and approval by Charleston Water Systems.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-199, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-32. – Sewer tap fees; increase in flows.


    A sewer tap and tap fee are required for each dwelling unit or business location accessing the public sewer system.


    Monthly billing fees are calculated and billed by Charleston Water Systems and are based on public water consumption.


    If there is an increase in anticipated or actual flows, for any dwelling unit or business location, the owner shall immediately make application to Charleston Water Systems and the town for amendment of the reservation, letter of ability and willingness to serve or tap. The amount of additional fees required to be paid for such reservation, letter of ability and willingness to serve or tap shall be computed by using the current rate per gallon per day, pursuant to this section, for excess gallons over 300 gallons per day (gpd) or the originally approved capacity.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-200, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-33. – Owners and/or users to bear costs and expenses of installation and maintenance.


    All costs and expenses incident to the installation and connection of the building, including engineering and construction of sewer shall be borne by the owner and/or user. The owner and/or user shall indemnify the town from any loss or damage including but not limited to damage to roadways or infrastructure that may directly or indirectly be occasioned by the installation of the building sewer.


    All cost and expenses associated with maintenance, repairs and upkeep for lines and grinder pumps and connections from the dwelling to the property line will be the responsibility of the homeowner or business owner. From the property line to the access point of the town’s sewer line, maintenance will be the responsibility of the town unless damage is the result of direct or indirect failure to maintain the residential system.


    For any damage to the Meggett Sewer System associated by a contractor or individual while working in area, the contractor or individual will be held responsible for all cost associated with the damage as well as any environmental impact.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-201, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-34. – No surface waters to be introduced to sanitary sewers; penalty.

    It shall be unlawful for a person to discharge or cause to be discharged any stormwater, surface water, groundwater, roof runoff, subsurface drainage, including interior and exterior foundation drains, uncontaminated cooling water, or swimming pool water to any sanitary sewer or building drain that is connected directly or indirectly to a public sanitary sewer. Violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable as provided in this Code.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-226, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-35. – Discharge of stormwater, cooling water and swimming pool.

    Stormwater and all other unpolluted drainage shall be discharged to such sewers as are specifically designated as storm sewers, or to a natural outlet approved by the water/sewer manager. Uncontaminated cooling water or swimming pool water may be discharged on approval of the water/sewer manager to a storm sewer or natural outlet.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-227, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-36. – Substances prohibited to be discharged.

    No person or user shall discharge or cause to be discharged any of the following described waters or wastes to any public sewers:


    Any gasoline, benzene, naphtha, fuel oil, or other flammable or explosive liquid, solid or gas.


    Any waters or wastes containing toxic or poisonous solids, liquids or gases in sufficient quantity, either singly or by interaction with other wastes, to injure or interfere with any sewage treatment process or constitute a hazard in the receiving waters of the sewage treatment plant, including but not limited to cyanides in excess of 0.5 mg/l as CN in the wastes as discharged to the public sewer.


    Any water or wastes having a pH lower than 5.5, or having any other corrosive property capable of causing damage or hazard to structures, equipment and personnel of the sewer system.


    Solid or viscous substances in quantities or of such size capable of causing obstruction to the flow in sewers, or other interference with the proper operation of the sewer system, such as but not limited to ashes, cinders, sand, mud, straw, shavings, metal, glass, rags, feathers, tar, plastics, wood, unground garbage, whole blood, paunch manure, hair and flesh, entrails and paper dishes, cups, milk containers, etc., either whole or ground by garbage grinders.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-228, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-37. – Substances requiring approval to discharge.

    No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged the following described substances, materials, waters or wastes if it appears likely in the opinion of the council that such wastes can harm either the sewers, sewage treatment process or equipment, or can otherwise endanger life, limb or public property, or constitute a nuisance. In forming an opinion as to the acceptability of these wastes, the council will give consideration to such factors as the quantities of subject wastes in relation to flows and velocities in the sewers, materials of construction of the sewers, nature of the sewage treatment process, capacity of the sewage treatment plant, degree of treatability of wastes in the sewage treatment plant, and other pertinent factors. The substances prohibited are:


    Any liquid or vapor having a temperature higher than 150 degrees Fahrenheit (65 degrees Celsius).


    Any waters or wastes containing fats, wax, grease or oils, whether emulsified or not, in excess of 100 mg/l or containing substances which may solidify or become viscous at temperatures between 32 and 150 degrees Fahrenheit (0 Fahrenheit and 65 degrees Celsius).


    Any garbage that has not been properly shredded. The installation and operation of any garbage grinder equipped with a motor of three-fourths horsepower or greater shall be subject to the review and approval of the water/sewer manager.


    Any waters or wastes containing strong acid iron pickling wastes, or concentrated plating solutions whether neutralized or not.


    Any waters or wastes containing iron, chromium, copper, zinc, and similar objectionable or toxic substances; or wastes exerting an excessive chlorine requirement, to such degree that any such material received in the composite sewage at the sewer treatment works exceeds the limits established by the water/sewer manager for such materials.


    Any waters or wastes containing phenols or other taste- or odor-producing substances, in such concentrations exceeding limits that may be established by the council as necessary, after treatment of the composite sewage, to meet the requirements of state, federal or other public agencies of jurisdiction for such discharge to the receiving waters.


    Any radioactive wastes or isotopes of such half-life or concentration as may exceed limits established by the council in compliance with applicable state or federal regulations.


    Any waters or wastes having a pH in excess of 9.5.


    Materials which exert or cause.


    Unusual concentrations of inert suspended solids (such as, but not limited to, fuller’s earth, lime slurries, and lime residues) or of dissolved solids (such as, but not limited to, sodium sulfate).


    Excessive discoloration (such as, but not limited to, dye wastes and vegetable solutions).


    Unusual BOD, chemical oxygen demand, or chlorine requirements in such quantities as to constitute a significant load on the sewage treatment works.


    Unusual volume of flow or concentration of wastes constituting slugs.


    Waters or wastes containing substances that are not amenable to treatment or reduction by the sewage treatment processes employed, or are amenable to treatment only to such degree that the sewage treatment plant effluent cannot meet the requirements of other agencies having jurisdiction over discharge to the golf course land application effluent disposal system.


    Any waters or wastes having a five-day BOD greater than 300 ppm by weight, or containing more than 300 ppm by weight of suspended solids, or having an average daily flow greater than two percent of the average sewage flow to the treatment facility shall be subject to the review of the council. Where necessary in the opinion of the council, the owner and/or shall provide, at his expense, such preliminary treatment as may be necessary to reduce the BOD to 300 ppm by weight, or reduce the suspended solids to 300 ppm by weight, or control the quantities and rates of discharge of such waters or wastes. Plans, specifications and any other pertinent information relating to proposed preliminary treatment facilities shall be submitted for the approval of the council and no construction of such facilities shall be commenced until approvals are obtained in writing.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-229, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-38. – Authority of council or authorized agency managing the Meggett Sewer System to prohibit or impose special conditions on certain discharges.


    If any waters or wastes are discharged or are proposed to be discharged to the public sewers, which waters contain the substances or possess the characteristics enumerated in section 26-37 and which in the judgment of the council may have a deleterious effect upon the sewer system, process, equipment or receiving waters, or which otherwise create a hazard of life to constitute a public nuisance, the council may:


    Reject the wastes.


    Require pretreatment to an acceptable condition for discharge to the public sewers.


    Require control over the quantities and rates of discharge.


    If the council permits the pretreatment or equalization of waste flows, the design and installation of the plants and equipment shall be subject to the review and approval of the council, and subject to the requirements of all applicable codes, ordinances and laws.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-230, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-39. – Interceptors required; locations and specifications; violations to be a misdemeanor.


    Users discharging effluent into the public sewer system are required to provide and install grease, oil and sand interceptors in the following circumstances:


    All cafes, restaurants, food preparation establishments, convenience stores or grocery stores with food preparation facilities, and cafeterias within industrial, medical, and retail facilities shall install a grease trap on all kitchen waste lines. All domestic waste shall bypass the grease trap;


    All gas stations, automotive repair shops, equipment maintenance shops, and car wash facilities whose floor drain system connects to the public sewer system shall install an oil/grease separator trap on all lines receiving flow from the floor drain system;


    Grease, oil and sand interceptors may be required of other public sewer users when, in the opinion of the water/sewer manager, it is necessary for the proper handling of liquid waste containing grease in excessive amounts, or any flammable waste, sand or other harmful ingredients; except that such interceptors shall not be required for private living quarters or dwelling units;


    If the sewer/water manager determines that a discharge of grease or oil into the public sewer system is causing or has a significant potential to cause damages, operational problems, increased operational costs, or increased liability in the proper operation of the public sewage facilities, the user shall be required to install an approved grease trap or oil/grease separator within 90 days after written notification by the town. Installation of a grease trap or oil/grease separator shall be made at the owner’s and/or users expense, and the town shall retain the right to inspect and approve the installation of the facility.


    All interceptors shall be of type and capacity approved by the water/sewer manager and shall be located as to be readily and easily accessible for cleaning and inspection, and shall further meet the following requirements:


    Grease traps and oil/grease separators of the underground vault type shall be installed on the outside of buildings and within the confines of private property on existing buildings, where the installation of a grease trap or oil/grease separator outside the building is not practical, as determined by the water/sewer manager, may be approved for installation on the inside of the building;


    Grease traps and oil/grease separators of the underground vault type installed outside the building shall be designed to provide a one-half-hour detention of peak instantaneous flows from the establishment, as calculated from ultimate loadings based on fixture count and trap influent line diameter. The trap shall be of the two-compartment type and comply with the water/sewer manager’s specifications. Mechanical and/or aboveground grease traps and oil/grease separators shall be mechanical devices which are solely dependent upon the owner or the employees of the owner or operator to prevent discharge from the device which exceeds regulated sewage limitations.


    All damages and costs associated with or caused by the inadequate maintenance of a grease trap and oil/grease separator or the lack of a required grease trap or oil/grease separator, shall be paid by the owner and/or user of the facility.


    Grease traps and oil/grease separators shall be cleaned periodically by the owner or operator of the facility. Failure to perform periodic cleaning which results in the discharge of wastewater beyond the 100 mg/l grease or oil limits shall constitute a misdemeanor.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-231, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-40. – Preliminary treatment or flow-equalizing facilities.

    Where preliminary treatment or flow-equalizing facilities are provided for any waters or wastes, they shall be maintained continuously in satisfactory and effective operation by the owner and/or user at his expense.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-232, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-41. – Measurements, tests and analyses.

    All measurements, tests and analyses of the characteristics of waters and wastes to which reference is made in this section shall be determined in accordance with the latest edition of Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, published by the American Public Health Association, and shall be determined at the control manhole provided, or upon suitable samples taken at the control manhole. In the event no special manhole has been required, the control manhole shall be considered to be the nearest downstream manhole in the public sewer to the point at which the building sewer is connected. Sampling shall be carried out by customarily accepted methods to reflect the effect of constituents upon the sewer system and to determine the existence of hazards to life, limb and property. The particular analysis involved will determine whether a 24-hour composite of all outfalls of a premises is appropriate or whether a grab sample or samples should be taken. Normally, but not always, BOD and suspended solids analyses are obtained from 24-hour composites of all outfalls, whereas pHs are determined from periodic grab samples.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-233, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-42. – Normal domestic water parameters.

    The following parameters establish the characteristics of normal domestic waste and shall be used in the lower limit for any user charge surcharges in accordance with the approved user charge system:

    Parameter Concentration
    BOD 5 (20 degrees Celsius) 300
    Total suspended solids (TSS) 300
    Chemical oxygen demand (COD) 1,000
    Nitrogen (total as N) 85
    Organic 35
    Free ammonia 50
    Phosphorus (total as P) 20
    Organic 5
    Inorganic 15
    Chlorides 100
    Alkalinity (as CaCO 3 ) 200
    Grease 100


    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-234, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-43. – Utility fees for sewer tap use and consumption.


    Fees for taps connected are designated by the Charleston Water Systems and based on water consumption. Individuals that are holding taps for future use are billed by the town. Fees for non-connected taps are set by council and are billed on a quarterly interim.


    If any utility fee or part thereof shall become delinquent, Charleston Water Systems has the authority to disconnect all sewer service to such users and shall remain disconnected until such user shall have paid all past due fees, penalties and reconnection charges. Non-connected taps that become delinquent for a year or longer will be returned to the town and the owner will not be reimbursed for any fees associated with the initial purchase or quarterly chargers.


    Any user that is connected to the sewer system and feels their invoice may be in error should contact Charleston Water Systems. Any persons holding taps that are not connected and who questions their quarterly invoice should contact the town within 45 days of the issue date of the invoice. Should it be determined an error occurred, a corrected invoice will be sent out by the town for customers not connected to the sewer systems.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-301, 7-23-2012)

  • Sec. 26-44. – Repair of damage to the public utility infrastructure.


    In addition to any other remedy provided by the provisions of this chapter, any party responsible for damage to any part of the sewer system including but not limited to lines, meters, pumps, lift stations, and hydrants owned or operated by the town shall be held responsible for reimbursement to the town of all costs related to the repair or replacement of the affected components, whether such repair/replacement is performed by a town personnel or by an outside contractor retained by the town.


    If the party responsible for the damage fails to make such reimbursement to the town within 30 days of notice of completion of said repair or replacement, suit may be instituted in any court of competent jurisdiction to recover the full amount of the repairs plus costs.

    (Ord. No. 2012-01, § 11-302, 7-23-2012)